Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Colorado Adventure, Part 1

You know you're a Cobb (at least the Chris Cobb edition of the Cobb clan) if you're always packing too much stuff. There is an exception to this rule, and that's when the Cobbs go backpacking. If you have to carry everything on your back, you tend to be a lot more careful about what you bring. Well, we weren't going backpacking.


Can you tell?


 This is the view from the driver's seat. Forget the rear view mirror, this baby is packed to the rafters. If we get into an accident we're going to be crushed by 900 pounds of luggage. But I should be optimistic: at least the impact will be cushioned--we'll be gently crushed to death. Okay, that's enough optimism for now.


You also know you're a Cobb, a son of Lewis Milner Cobb, if no matter how much you bring you can still make it all fit.

I did.

We're probably down ten degrees at the stern. I am convinced that we brought everything in triplicate. Doris tries to console me, telling me that we've got so much stuff because we're going to be cooking our meals at the cabin. I convince myself that she's right, lower the hatch, brace my feet against the back of the garage, and squeeze the silly thing shut. I am positive I heard the car groan.


We're off like a herd of turtles. On Saturday night we stopped at Iowa--twin  Diane's--and managed to disgorge a few items. Now there's actually room for Doris. Yay!

As we headed west early Sunday, we read half a dozen Psalms together, and a chapter of Isaiah. It was a good time of worship (at 75 mph). Needless to say, we didn't close our eyes during our prayer time.

Sunday was a long, long, long drive. Especially since we had to listen to the Broncos lose. Made it even longer. But finally there was a ray of hope: the Lord gave us a sign.






<sigh> What a wonderful sign!
















And then more beautiful rays of hope!









 Sunday came to an end at Fort Morgan, Colorado. Tomorrow we would begin a Henry Marshall tour (seeing up close and personal the various locations I included in The Candidate) and end our day at the Mount Elbert Lodge in Rinker Cabin.

Stay tuned for Part 2. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment