Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy update #2

Well, maybe Sandy’s not such a wild Virginia woman after all. Here in Broad Reach it’s not been much worse than a long, slow, windy rainstorm. Not yet anyway. I'm thankful for that.

 

Not being partial to telling fibs, I am really, really, trying to mean what I just said, ‘bout being thankful. I’m mostly thankful. Nearly almost completely thankful. Mostly.

I have heard that Sandy has closed the offices of the Federal Government. Maybe we could convince her to hang around for a while. You know, close the guvmint, save money. Leastwise, that’s what I was thinking until I heard that the Feds were stuffing sandbags with dollar bills (stimulus funds, no doubt), so, maybe not.

Local entertainment in Broad Reach centers on another female character, name of Rosy. This here’s Rosy.

 

Rosy is like a super-charged, battery-powered, attention-deficit-disordered mop without a handle, mounted on wheels, whose Ritalin you’ve lost on the same day she ate a whole bag of candy.

 
She’s very playful, and very obedient if you can convince her you really mean it. I’ve not yet been able to convince her.
This is my sweet momma. She rides herd on Rosy, and makes sure I eat my vegetables. Does not seem to matter that I’m 56. Once a mom, always a mom.


This is my big brother. He and Lorraine, a good friend of his, came to be with mom this weekend. Lou and I really enjoy getting together. We’re both working really hard on being thankful that Sandy stayed out to sea and made landfall so far north. You know, birds of a feather, and all that. Lorraine is truly thankful because her house is in a low-lying area of Norfolk and she doesn’t care too much for vacuuming water out of her first floor. Now that I can understand.
Okay, here are the few statistics I can give you. We’ve had slightly over 6” of rain since getting here on Saturday evening. There has been several super-high tides. Check this out below.

 
 The waterway at the bottom of the picture is a state-maintained highway. All the pilings in the center belong to a dock. We are supposed to have wind gusts approaching 70 miles per hour tonight. I frankly don’t believe it, but the county emergency agency called a couple of hours ago to warn us.

Meanwhile, Beckley, West Virginia gets a blizzard. Some folks are just lucky, I reckon.

1 comment:

  1. lol... got a friend near Beckley. I think she would beg to differ about the "luckiness" of her situation, but each to their own. We got a dusting of snow last night and the kids were ecstatic this morning about the little bit of white stuff. Hope y'all made it through ok last night. Love you!

    P.S. - love the pics! :)

    ReplyDelete