Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My carbon-eating units

Best way to deal with the anthropogenic generation of carbon dioxide is to plant some carbon-eating units. That's what Dor and I did this Memorial Day weekend. Here, let me show you a picture of one.


What are these? I already told you, carbon-eating units. I have no idea beyond that, except the near one is an Asian lilly. That I do know. We have diversity quotas for our garden.

That's me, shamelessly contributing to global warming, generating carbon dioxide. By breathing.
 
But wait, I'm also planting something that eats carbon dioxide, so I must be contributing to global cooling.

Other than that, I had no idea what I was doing. I'm supposed to be planting peas. But I think it's the wrong time of year. Never grew peas before. This year will probably be no exception.

 
When it comes to gardening, I am close to clueless. But being clueless has never stopped me before, so why now?

And here I am, shamelessly generating carbon monoxide, plus a lot of noise and dust. More global warming. Somebody needs to report me to the EPA.


And here are my little friends, happily eating the noxious effluents I have shamelessly produced. The tomato in the lower right looks like he's had a little too much CO2.


It's been a good, hard-working, holiday. Doris and I strategized, discussed, planned, drew diagrams, measured, borrowed a rototiller, then went to Lowes.  And pitched our plans in the trash. Just too many beautiful plants. Felt like Adam and Eve, prior to the serpent.



We got started after church on Sunday, and worked pretty much straight through today (Tuesday). Here's the vegetable garden. The line with no mulch is where my lettuce is supposed to come up. Never grew lettuce before. This year's probably no exception. At least the seeds were cheap, unlike the peas.


All snide remarks aside, it's been a great holiday weekend. We got a lot done. Here's the pond area. By the way, you can barely see it, but if you'll note the grill in the background, just above it is some black and yellow. It's the bottom of Doris's Iowa Hawkeyes flag. Football Momma loves her Hawkeyes. We're flying it in the backyard so the local OSU fans don't run us out of town.


This is the view from the deck. Comical to watch the birds mug one another in an effort to gain control of the birdbath, which is the prime real estate in the backyard according to my local feathered friends. Whoever talks about nature being in harmony has evidently spent most of their days inside. It's aerial combat out here.


And here's Dor. She's the one who really knows what to do with all these plants.


And this is Lilly, my heart-throb. Gorgeous.


4 comments:

  1. Pffft. You don't know what you're doing. Sir, I've eaten some of your homegrown tomatoes and they were the best I've tasted in a long time... and since. So you MUST be doing something right.

    So lettuce, eh? And peas? AND expanding your little gardening nook? You're getting adventurous. Next thing I know you'll be hobby farming and be building a coop in the backyard to host your flock of chickens!

    The yard seriously looks gorgeous. Y'all did a fabulous job and it looks like you had a lot of fun doing it.

    So is the pond inhabited this year? Or is it just going to play host to water plants and the occasional unlucky chipmunk? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pond is empty (except for large quantities of algae. I guess that makes it a source of energy, although I'm a little reluctant to dump it in my gas tank).

    But we are seriously contemplating restocking it with goldfish. The local waterfowl need something to eat . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, goldfish. They will appreciate the mosquito larvae, and the ducks will appreciate the goldfish. Toss in a brick with holes to give the fish a fighting chance at keeping yor little biospheric chain going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A brick. That's a great idea. Give 'em a little structure, some hiding places. I like it. Will do - thanks for the tip, Lou!

    ReplyDelete