Sunday, July 9, 2017

Transitions

For the benefit of my friends, family, and readers who do not attend Bible Fellowship Church, I’d like to explain a recent leadership transition at BFC.

On July 1 Pastor Scott Gruber was promoted to the position of Senior Pastor at my request. Our church uses a multiple-elder model, and one of the functions of the Board is to identify that elder who will serve as the Senior, or Lead Elder.

I have occupied that position for almost fifteen years, and for the last several have felt that it was time to move Pastor Scott into that position. He’s well qualified, is an excellent preacher, and has an eye for planning and vision. Our church will flourish under his preaching and leadership.

My duties will now fall primarily in the area of counseling, teaching and Christian Education. I will preach when Pastor Scott needs a break or goes on vacation. Pastor Scott and I would like to broaden the counseling opportunities and resources we can offer to the community, and I’ll be taking the lead in that.

For the last three years or so I have been letting the congregation know that this transition was approaching, preparing them by speaking of it frequently as I preach. I am gratified that the shift has gone smoothly and has been well accepted by the BFC congregation.

When pastoral leadership changes, it often generates questions.
  • Who initiated this? I did. No one else even suggested it or intimated it. No one is pushing me out of BFC. From start to finish it was at my initiative and I led the process.
  • Why did you do it? Because I believe BFC is ready for the change and in fact needs the change to move forward. From my perspective, it is the culmination of 2 Timothy 2:2 in my ministry: “The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also” (2 Timothy 2:2).
  • Are you retiring? No.
  • Where will you and Doris go? Nowhere. We’re staying right here and continuing to serve BFC as an elder.
  • Will it be difficult for you to accept Pastor Scott’s leadership? No. For the last three years or so I’ve been letting him make a lot of the decisions. I’ve been intentionally moving him into more leadership roles. I’ve enjoyed and been fed by his preaching.
  • Will it be difficult for Pastor Scott to assume leadership if you remain at BFC? No, I don’t think so. Pastor Scott and I have talked about this. We work together very well and he knows that I respect him and his abilities highly. If you find me telling you, “Well, let’s check with Pastor Scott on this,” it’s my way of gently reminding you that he’s now leading BFC.
I look forward to continuing to serve at BFC. We have no plans to go elsewhere. I will be excited to see the new blessings the Lord brings to our church through Pastor Scott’s leadership! In my opinion, this is how you do a pastoral transition the right way, and I'm thankful the Lord has blessed the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment