Monday, August 13, 2012

Honduras Day 1

It was, I thought, the alarm clock on my cell phone. I groggily reached over, flipped the phone open and shut to kill the alarm. Can’t be time to get up yet!

My alarm was set for 1:30 AM. I stumbled into the kitchen, stared stupidly at the clock on the wall, which was insisting that it was only 12:30 AM. It slowly dawned on me that the sound which awoke me was not my alarm, but an actual phone call.

The good news is that I had one more hour to sleep! The bad news is that I just hung up on someone. Better see who it was. Ah, a Honduras trip team member, calling with a minor matter: can’t find their passport anywhere.

An inauspicious beginning for our one-week mission trip to Honduras! But all went well. The passport was located, and the entire team assembled at 5 AM at Port Columbus International airport: 23 souls and a mountain of luggage.







Jesus said that if you have faith, you can move mountains. I reckon we had faith enough, because the whole mountain moved with us to San Pedro Sula. Every bag, every personal item, and every person arrived safe and sound.

When we arrived in San Pedro Sula, we had a two hour plus bus ride to MEDA, the seminary that will be home base for our trip. The sights along the way were both beautiful and heart-breaking. Honduras is a study in contrasts: poverty and beauty, found both in its landscape and its people. I look forward to getting to know both better in coming days. Perhaps some of the poverty of my own soul might be revealed in the process . . .



1 comment:

  1. Ugh... a 1:30am wake up call? Brutal. So glad the passport was found and that you all made it there safely luggage and all. Love you much and praying for the trip and the team! :)

    ReplyDelete