Saturday, August 27, 2011

Facing Irene #4

Well, that was dumb. Just went outside in a rainsuit, but was wearing my sneakers instead of wading shoes. They'll be wet for a while.

Had to explain to Rosie, about an hour ago, why she could not go outside to play.


Then realized that she's probably not going to, ah, do her duty unless someone goes outside with her. She has no interest in going out into the mini-maelstrom by herself. So, I suited up, as mentioned, and went out with her.

The tide should now be ebbing, so it looks like the dock survived assault #1.


The water is pretty high, and coming onto the road, but this might be the worst of it for Bertrand.


Funny who you run into in the middle of a hurricane. County building inspector, Steve Daum, drove up, and I introduced myself. We started talking about my dad, and he mentioned that he and dad put their heads together and figured that his dad taught my dad to fly in Pensacola, during the war.



Faithful mop-dog followed me to the dock. Not sure if she attended to her, ah, business, but sure hope so. Mighty wet out here, and I'd kinda like to keep the wet, um, out here, if you get my drift.


Okay now for the vital statistics: winds out of the NE at 30kts, gusting to 36. I expect some of the gusts are actually stronger. Constant rain. No electrical storm activity that I can detect so far. Lights still flickering significantly. A few limbs down so far, but nothing notable. Lighting is sort of a perma-twilight. Interesting. Northern Neck may have missed the worst of this: we'll see.

5 comments:

  1. You say that Bertrand "may have missed" the worst of this. That sounds past tense, but Irene hasn't yet gone to bed after having been told "good night".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just off the phone with Chris. He lost internet access after this post but they still have power. Since the post, the dock is now completely submerged and water level continues to rise. For now, the wind is out of the NE and Bertrand is not getting the brunt of waves down the full fetch of the Rappahanock. Hopefully it doesn't clock eastward as the storm gets closer. The only casualty so far is Chris' camera which may have gotten too much moisture on his last excursion out. I still have the Isabel footage of waves crashing over the pump house. He said that was taken with the same camera. So far, just lots of rain and wind in Easton. -Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, anonymous Adam [my nephew who is mentioned in post#6], for letting everyone know I went offline. Glad you and Melissa did not sustain serious damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, Lou, you sure got that right, as we later discovered!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up on the hurricane news as I was away from it all this past weekend. Glad you all are safe and sound. Prayed for you all during the storm. Thanks for the pictures Chris!

    ReplyDelete